Saturday, December 24, 2016


Here's another post.


I'll keep this one brief.


I just wanted to say a quick word about something I've learned lately.


This might be obvious for some, and for others it may be irrelevant or completely opposite to how their minds work.


But I've found that when I give myself time to actually work on ONE or TWO projects at time, without very many interruptions, and without spreading myself thin across too many other things, I can get far more done in a short time than when I spread myself thin over months of trying to attempt too much at once.


Case in point: Chopin's Ballade No. 1 in G minor. I just undertook this piece a few weeks ago, and already I feel I've made significant progress without screwing it up (and yes, I have screwed up pieces before--the third movement of Moonlight is stuck in a very frustrating limbo for me right now).


But the Chopin seems to be coming along very well, despite the reputation this piece has for being, according to concert pianist Murray Perahia, "one of the hardest songs in the repertoire." Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why I feel as though I am directly composing this piece, like it's my own work.  If I keep making the same amount of progress on this piece that I have been over the past week (during which I have worked on it almost nonstop), I will finish the "rough draft" within another few weeks! It feels as though God's giving me a Christmas present.


This may be my last post for a little while. Very soon I plan to post several Youtube videos of songs I've recently finished--two Nocturnes by Chopin (C minor, Op. 48 No. 1 and C-sharp minor, Op. Posthumous), the Prelude in G-flat major by Debussy (aka The Girl with the Flaxen Hair), and Moment Musical No. 5 in D-flat by Rachmaninoff. Over the next few months, I will finish my other pieces--the first movement of Mozart's Sonata K.576 in C minor, Bach's Prelude and Fugue No. 2 (also in C minor), the second movement of Chopin's piano concerto in F minor (I'll be performing that sometime in May with my piano teacher playing the orchestra part arranged for piano), Chopin's Grand Valse Brilliante in E-flat major, Op. 18, and of course the Ballade in G minor. I look forward to sharing this music with you!


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment